Friday, May 24, 2024

Blogging and Burden

I've decided to start this blog mid-revelation during my creative journey. Getting to know my closest friends in the New England War Council, and even more intimately, the other Hive Scum boys, has profoundly shifted my recent creative process.

As kids, we act without inhibition. We follow whims, driven purely by curiosity. Why this changes, whether it's puberty or some other source of insecurity, I'm not sure, but we suddenly become tight. We start fretting about others' perceptions, meticulously crafting our public image. Platforms like Instagram exacerbate this, pushing us to become microbusinesses, constantly tending to customer service and ensuring our creations are marketable.

Yet, since connecting with my newfound friends and becoming a parent myself, I've come to realize the absurdity of this "tightness" and the liberation of shedding these constraints to embrace unbridled creativity.

I often view my creative life as a series of ebbs and flows. There are periods of creation when I care little about external validation, allowing ideas to flow freely across whatever medium. However, over time, the desire to "improve" tightens my approach. Eventually, the joy dissipates, and I stop creating.

Now, I find myself back in a state of flow. Ideas abound, and this blog is a manifestation of that liberated creative energy. I'm splattering digital paint, unconcerned with direction or reception. There's no pressure to post regularly or at all—this might be it.

Ultimately, nobody really cares, and each day, we edge closer to the edge. So, I might as well do whatever the hell I want.

Xoxox

TR


1 comment:

  1. Agreed entirely about edging closer to the edge everyday, and finding a certain liberation in that. I'm not a parent, and neither my spouse nor I want to have children, but we are both getting older, and with that aging comes a certain letting go. Hopefully I just don't go full on crazy old dude in socks and sandals yelling at the birds...

    ReplyDelete

Summer Time :)

Teachers may not be paid what they should, and specifically in my state it's mandated that we spend more money to get a Master's deg...