Friday, May 31, 2024

Whistlin'

Although it's not something that often comes up in our hobby-focused crowd, I'm a big fan of baseball and try my best to follow the Red Sox. I don't have a way to stream it, nor would I have the time to really sit down and watch a game, but I will listen on the radio and I watch the highlights on YouTube every day.

On 5/29 the National Anthem was performed by Chris Ullman, a "4x International Whistling Champion." 


I'm a gatherer of what I refer to as passive hobbies, things that you can do while killin' time. I carry a little sketchbook with me to draw and I'm a big fan of birdwatching, but whistling is something that could fit right in there. You don't need to carry anything, it's fun to do, and just like anything - the more you do it the better you'll get.

Of course - there's people that take it more seriously than others. The video below features International Grand Champion Sean Lomax, and he has some great tips on how to improve your whistling, but just like in any hobby - there are things he says you "need to do" or "should be doing." Ultimately though (obviously) you can just have fun and play with nothing at all.


Here's another great video of a man named Roger Whittaker whistling while playing his guitar:


Hobbies are great. Doing things is fun, and typically we see being bored as a "bad thing." Instead of reaching for your phone next time you need to kill time - take a look around, whistle a tune, or maybe pull out your sketchbook and do your best to draw the next person or animal you see. 

Thanks to this chance encounter with Chris Ullman, I've got a new found love.

Ok I'll leave you with one more quick video of him from 1994:


xoxo
TR


No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer Time :)

Teachers may not be paid what they should, and specifically in my state it's mandated that we spend more money to get a Master's deg...