Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Switching It Up

The other night I was having a little bit of a crisis. 

I've been trying to stay away from screens in general, not just my phone, but also my computer and my TV. Of course it's not removed completely, but I find the only way I can actually limit things at all is to "remove completely." Giving myself a limit of "just a little bit" ultimately results in me ignoring those limits.

Not sure it makes sense, as I still use the computer and stuff, but my mindset around it is more "i can't be doing this" rather than, "well, this will be the small amount I can do today," for my brain, it's what it needs.

I've been trying to find things to fill my time with. My thought is that if I'm busy, I won't have time to be in front of a screen. I've got plenty - drawing, painting, miniatures, cleaning, working out, birdwatching, and I've recently added playing the guitar, gardening/yardwork and this blog to the mix.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop and all that...

That being said, and even though I have all these things, I still had a moment of crisis.

I sat there, phone in hand, watching YouTube shorts or some other brainrot media, and was feeling bad because I didn't WANT to paint miniatures at that moment, but that's what I typically did at that point in my daily routine. Not wanting to paint minis hasn't happened in a bit and I started spiraling downward and dragging my feet. I felt guilty and I didn't know what to do so I sat there. 

It wasn't until I was reminded by my wife (one of the greatest benefits of marriage) that I had other avenues. 

Duh - of course... 

Even though I knew I had these other things, my brain still couldn't break the habit of "always painting miniatures at this time." Which really shows you how baked in these habits can get

So I started messing around with making some collage and painting a bit, not to "create artwork" just to play. Sort of little clay squish through your fingers but on a 2D surface, I let my mind go for a bit and it felt great. 

Not much of note in this post - but if you are feeling stuck, or feeling lost in phoneville, maybe try mixing it up, go engage with something you haven't done in a bit, think of all your options and decide which is most appealing without judging.


xoxox

TR

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya on that. Many times I've hit a point in the afternoon on my days off where I've got the chores done, and have some free time, and it would be a great opportunity to get some painting done, and I just cannot summon up the motivation to do it. It's those times I have to really be conscious about how this is a hobby, as in something done for fun. Not money, not work, not survival, just fun. As such, it doesn't have to happen to a schedule. Dont want to paint today? Totally fine, let's read or work outside or hang with the dogs. The minis will still be there. Remembering that can be easier said than dine a lot.of the time though.

    ReplyDelete

Summer Time :)

Teachers may not be paid what they should, and specifically in my state it's mandated that we spend more money to get a Master's deg...