Friday, June 28, 2024

Summer Time :)

Teachers may not be paid what they should, and specifically in my state it's mandated that we spend more money to get a Master's degree to continue teaching (as if there wasn't already a shortage), but when it comes to summer time - it makes the whole damn year worth it.

I've certainly figured out about myself that I am more "productive" when I am teaching. I have a routine which I stick to, I can't be out late, so I have a little time to myself to get some painting or other projects done. However, getting some time to let go of this structure is nice in it's own way.

Lately, between spending my nights hitting the Hive Scum studio, building/painting stuff (or goofing off), and I just came back from a vacation to Cape Cod. These breaks in routine tend to shake it all up for me and I learn to slow down again.

Hobby-wise I've been painting Brothers of Promethium. No real plan for how I'm doing them other than a loose "they're like raiders from Fallout: New Vegas with Techno-animal guards" and I've slowed down tremendously after become a bit overwhelmed with the Skaven project.

It feels good, taking the models three at a time, spending about an hour each night. I have a primed model which I basecoat, quickly using wetblending to cram in shadows. Another which was basecoated the night before that I apply washes to. Finally a third one that received the wash treatment the night before that I highlight and finish the base rim for. It's a nice little system that lets me move forward with a project, but allows me the satisfaction of seeing something finished.

Been thinking lately about what has frustrated me with Skaven, but what "fills my bucket" with this project and it's that this warband feels well thought out, and unique. I feel invested in the idea, and the project feels finite (collectively being 13 models and 600 pts. in OPR). I had the thought last night that painting an army, or creating an entire converted army wouldn't be so hard if instead of thinking about the army as a whole - I thought about them in standalone units. This would allow me to tinker and bash at my own pace and slow-grow the force rather than overwhelm myself.

Anyway - you learn more about yourself every day haha

Here's a couple examples of finished models:



Posting will probably slow down a bit with summer here, but I'll update when I can!

xoxo 

TR

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm on the Cape now, reading this. You're absolutely right that day to day routine enhances productivity because you know it's limited, but learning to lean into the freedom can be invigorating. I also have a problem embracing it fully (freelance means I can go a bit without regular work) while trying to keep the family unit running, but my wife does a great job reminding me of the value of self-satisfaction. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Summer Time :)

Teachers may not be paid what they should, and specifically in my state it's mandated that we spend more money to get a Master's deg...